EKN Top Banner - Forum
Energy Kart Canada 2014 - LB
HOME - NEWS - CLUB NEWS - FEATURES - DRIVERS - PR WIRE - FORUMS - PHOTOS - SCHEDULES - RESULTS - LINKS - CONTACT -

BuzzBomb Race Paint - SS

CLUB - West Coast Kart Club - DB

CLUB - Le Circuit Quyon

CLUB - WRKC 2013 - DB

CLUB - Manitoba Kart Club

CLUB - TRAK - Goodwood

CLUB - Point Pelee Karting - DB

Racing Edge Motorsports - FB
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 
Briggs LO206 at the ASN Nationals 2012
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eKartingNews.ca :: Canada's Leading Karting Website Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Al McPhee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Briggs LO206 at the ASN Nationals 2012 Reply with quote

To really showcase the LO206 Briggs product ,will Briggs and Stratton pony up at the Nationals and seriously come to the table with support or are they content to have the LO 206 flounder?
Each competitor should register for the 2012 ASN Nationals and pay a REASONABLE engine package rental fee.
The competitor picks up a complete factory sealed and prepared Briggs engine package at registration,bolts it to their chassis ,uses it for the weekend ,and returns it after competition.
Throw stones at this.......tell us all why this couldn't work !
Laughing
Paul Kashak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just want a t-shirt...
C2 Gord Costello

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al what would you consider a nominal fee for this opportunity and if so would you purchase the engine after the event ?

Gord
Russ Walsh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So lets see if I understand this correctly.
You think that Briggs should rent engines for the nationals.
You think they should set a reasonable fee.
You think the engine should be race prepped.

Im trying to understand why?
Where does this happen in karting?
What other engine program does this?

Maybe we could get GM Ford and Dodge to do the same thing for our tow vehicles. Wait a minute lets get chassis manufacturers to do the same thing for our chassis

Maybe we could get the whole thing tax deductable. And maybe the companies would finance it interest free.

I know I'm being sarcastic but really.

I'm a businessman and I like to think that I operate a fairly successful rental company and what you are describing is foolish at best and stupid at worst.

Rotax provides rides to the Worlds for their customers they privide equipment for their customers.

These perks are for customers who already support the program and own rotax equipment.

I would say if you want to run in the Briggs class at nationals buy one. Don't expect someone to subsidize your racing program.

You throw out a challenge with a statement like "throw stones at this"

Support the program or don't but please dont challenge a company like Briggs that has done so much for the development of the 4 stroke class like they have. The only company that has tried to help the 4 stroke class.

The stones have been thrown but with the best intentions I assure you. Smile
Al McPhee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul ....I hope you have your free T-shirt on during your glorious holiday....... Hope all is going well for you..... Check your email.
Gord... My theory is that ALL Briggs competitors rent for the ASN National event and pick a number from a hat to receive their engine package that is returned after the event.
A rental fee , and an optional post-event purchase fee would be set by Briggs & Stratton and would truthfully show how much the company wants the program to succeed in Canada , at the level that was originally hoped for.
kevin barrick

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Briggs Reply with quote

Ahh.. My favourite topic... Briggs... Hi Russ... All kinds of racers, and yes including the K&K team, have already purchased Briggs engines, in anticipation to run the Nationals. Now you want them to rent one.? I can see it maybe, as an option, but that would be it. Why would you bother when the engine is under $600. Guys are paying $6000 for a Rotax.

Kevin Barrick
Steve Auger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant pass this up... I guess Al is referring to the poor turnout for the Briggs class at the ECKC event where ASN ran Juniors, Seniors and Masters all on the track at the same time. (Check your asn rules book on that one). It appears that the ECKC Karting community has not embraced this Briggs class as much as the west but there seems to be a good number of them in the Coupe de Quebec and eastern Ontario
As the Nationals are in Quebec Im sure the turnout for Briggs will be better than for the ECKC.
At 600 bucks..I agree with just buy one! renting is not going to get the ontario south market to embrace this class..sorry Al just my opinion (and Im a Briggs guy from way back)
On the up side im sure theres a bunch of good used intrepid 4 cycles with briggs than can be bought after todays bay street Grand Prix.
Al McPhee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly Steve !
My hope is nothing more than to stir some response about a topic that has caused much quiet concern , without any forum discussion.Come to think of it , there has been little Forum comment as of late.... Period .
As much as I am not a fan of the method ASN used to force the Briggs format
I feel that I must ask what the Briggs intent is .......
Talk big , or come to the table seriously?
Others have compared Briggs with Rotax.......every one has an opinion.
This option of all competitors picking up a SEALED engine at registration is viable....... For all classes.
C2 Gord Costello

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I guess we got our answers on that topic !

As for the LO206 program it is alive and well here in Ontario and growing,

We know the ECKC series is predominantly Rotax and that's fine,but using the Briggs as a filler class is just not attractive to the four stroke racer who has a limited budget,also the number of different series plus club events running now in Ontario has diluted the numbers of entries for these classes in these troubled economic times.

The Briggs LO206 program is only second to the Rotax program here in Canada and with its continued success we are hoping within the next couple of years to be running a Briggs only regional series across Canada.

Some of you critics may be laughing at that last comment,but who would of thought we would have Briggs at the nationals,I didn't see that coming ether.

Remember it is up to you, the racer what and where you are going to race and I personally think we are lucky to have that choice here in Canada.

Change is good.

Gord Costello
Russ Walsh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Comments Gord!

Al do you not think that briggs has stepped up big by developing a motorsports division and developing the LO206 program?

Why do they have to rent engines?

I fail to see the benefit here.

Please tell me how this will benefit karting and the 4 cycle karting program in Canada because I just don't get it.

I am seriously interested in knowing your thoughts on this.

Russ
Mike Adams

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally do not think the engine is the problem. The nationals are a rich man race. A $600 motor is nothing compared to other costs.

Entry, you will need minimum 2 sets of slicks, 1 set of rains, travel expenses ( rooms very expensive there) . Time off of work. Tuner ( most front runners will have one)

I figure it cost $3000+ . Allot of money for a trophy in what is considered a budget class

Sure you could be the Canadian Champion. But most of us do not know who won last year.
Jarred Burton

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new to the world of kart racing, but not new to racing in general. Can someone please explain why there is so much resistance to the Briggs motor. What else do they need to do? And what the heck has Honda done, to deserve such devotion? I can't seem to find any Honda support anywhere for kart racing. Briggs has a division specifically devoted to 4 cycle kart racing. Seems a no brainer to me...support the companies, that support you right? Am I missing something???
Rob Kozakowski

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike is 100% correct.

Why we even bother running 4-cycle at our "Nationals" is something that I've always wondered about.

First, 4-cycle is generally supposed to be "entry-level" or "budget" racing. "Nationals" is a complete contradiction to that concept.

Second, how many Westerners head East to run the "Nationals" in 4-cycle? In Rotax, we see some Westerners travelling across the country, but not in the 4-cycle classes. The 4-cycle "Nationals" are no more than another Eastern Regional race.
Steve Auger

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this thread was originally about renting a Briggs for the nationals and I think that question has been answered and agreed upon.

Four stroke racing has been part of the nationals for a very long time ..Actually Its rotax thats new( less than 10 years)

in Canada Rotax Max has slowly replaced the almighty ICA class ...DD2 has all but killed ICC...Briggs could do the same to Honda..it will take time and the kind of commitment that Rotax has provided for their product.

I have a Rotax and a shifter but I race my four cycle cause its the most fun and the participants (in masters anyway) seem to be more closely matched in overall speed making for very close racing.
i still think you will see improving numbers for this Briggs class each year at the nationals as more clubs get on board with the briggs classes

ALSO... you would never talk down being a national champion if you actually acheived that goal.
I have a great deal of respect for those that have achieved a Canadian National Champions title.
Rob Kozakowski

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Auger wrote:
ALSO... you would never talk down being a national champion if you actually acheived that goal.
I have a great deal of respect for those that have achieved a Canadian National Champions title.

Trust me, I'm not talking down the drivers. It's the concept that I'm questioning.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eKartingNews.ca :: Canada's Leading Karting Website Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: