EKN Top Banner - Forum
DRT Racing
HOME - NEWS - CLUB NEWS - FEATURES - DRIVERS - PR WIRE - FORUMS - PHOTOS - SCHEDULES - RESULTS - LINKS - CONTACT -

Overdrive - SS

CLUB - AMKA

CLUB - Le Circuit Quyon

CLUB - Point Pelee Karting - DB

CLUB - Kawartha Durham

CLUB - Manitoba Kart Club

CLUB - TRAK - Goodwood

Racing Edge Motorsports - FB
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 
Shifter class in Calgary

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eKartingNews.ca :: Canada's Leading Karting Website Forum Index -> Other Karting Categories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Kwong

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Shifter class in Calgary Reply with quote

Calgary has always had a shifter class and was actually the largest class in the CKRC for a couple years. 2008 will hopefully hail a return of sorts to those glory days of 15+ karts on the grid. As always the class is open to all shifter karts up to 125cc ICC, FC, Moto and now including DD2. A speculative pre-season count of interested parties comes to over 10 so far. We have been at these numbers before in the pre-season and barely averaged 2 shifters/race in 2007. As the clubs shifter class rep. I would like some feedback as to how to turn good intentions into commitments. With a great deal of good equipment just laying around, shifter is not any more expensive than a serious regional Rotax program. Is shifter on life support in other club programs?

Click link to see shifter kart action from SuperNationals XI

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-2197766903437105955
Jimmy Lucas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

I've been working on the shifter scene in BC as well. We've had the same declining numbers through last season but have some really good resurgence of interest for the 08 season. Partly due to coordination of the shifter drivers to commit to specific race dates and Italian Motors promotion of the newer TAG shifters. We have a group of approx 16 to draw from and possibly more to come including some new to CartBC drivers from the IKF ranks that will be hosted by WKA this season. (Perhaps there's a few Calgary guys that want to join up with that event?) I believe that the future will include two classes to top the club scene, TAG and Shifter. Both exciting but different styles.
Contact me directly if you want to discuss ideas to get the Shifter Pilots back on the club scene in Western Canada.
Jimmy.
John Kwong

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been in contact with Riley Will (BRC) who is planning on running this year. He also has a number of contacts that are showing interest in coming to race this year. Hopefully, we can have a regular showing of 5 or 6 competitors at our club events.

"hosted by WKA this season" Which event is this and what date?

I have been running shifter for a long time and do not find the expense to be any higher than Rotax for the most part. Vp racing gas is more expensive but you save in other ways with less wear and tear on sprockets and chains.

Will BCKCA regionals have a shifter class this year?
Jimmy Lucas

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

I can't tell you for sure but I would doubt it. I ran the last regional and was one of 5 that turned out. Sad to see as this was a great class just a few years ago.
We have some great interest in BC WKA racing this year. I am expecting no fewer that 10 per race and hopefully closer to 15. Guys like Michael Valiente, David Jurca, Michael Hogg, Don MacGregor, etc. all making plans to attend when they can. The new TAG ICC that's being promoted by Italian Motors and being added to the Star's series will be a BIG deal going forward and keeps the older ICC's, Motos, FC's involved. With big names and a few other regulars making up a good size field the draw for new drivers is very prommising.
Maybe Calgary racers will take note and turn this class around like BC appears to be doing.
Matt Corrie

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject: Calgary Future? Reply with quote

John: what is the status of the kart track at race city with the seemingly immanent foreclosure around the bend? sorry if the answer is obvious, i've been out of karting since 02 and just started to look into it again-been running sports cars. MKA runs rotax only. i don't consider rotax an option, so i will have to travel west to race.

thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eKartingNews.ca :: Canada's Leading Karting Website Forum Index -> Other Karting Categories All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: