EKN Top Banner - Forum
Energy Kart Canada 2014 - LB
HOME - NEWS - CLUB NEWS - FEATURES - DRIVERS - PR WIRE - FORUMS - PHOTOS - SCHEDULES - RESULTS - LINKS - CONTACT -

CanAm - SS

CLUB - West Coast Kart Club - DB

CLUB - AMKA

CLUB - WRKC 2013 - DB

CLUB - TRAK - Goodwood

CLUB - Kawartha Durham

CLUB - Manitoba Kart Club

Racing Edge Motorsports - FB
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 
THE NEED FOR A REGIONAL KARTING ASSOSIATION IN ONTARIO

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eKartingNews.ca :: Canada's Leading Karting Website Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce Fowler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject: THE NEED FOR A REGIONAL KARTING ASSOSIATION IN ONTARIO Reply with quote

Twisted Evil I know this is going to open up a huge can of worms, but something has to be done. I go and write a very detailed letter to the Advisory Committee of the ASN about the concerns I have with the tech rules for this year but I'm told that the committee has been dissolved. It seems that all the time and effort that was spent at the Fall Tech meeting was for nothing. After reading over my notes from that meeting I find that only 1 of the recommendations that we voted on was put into effect.
Very Happy This is the exact reason we need a Regional Association in Ont. We pay a lot of money to the ASN and all we get back is grief. With regional representation, we will have a much better chance to make meaningful gains in the rules that affect all Ont. karters.
Very Happy I have read in this and other threads about ideas like multi year class structures & weights, clarification & adjustments to the rule book & many,many, more great ideas that will go nowhere with out the help of a strong Regional association. We had it before & we can have again.
Very Happy At the moment we have 2 travailing shows, both doing well, but are hurting the clubs #'s a lot. Without the clubs to draw from both of these shows must eventually die off. By putting a regional organization in place we insure that the top racers have somewhere to go & that the clubs keep growing new racers.

The rules are where you start from.
Jim Pirzas

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Fowler,
As you can see by the number of responses to your post from July 20, no one is interested in a regional governing body or a regional series.
I have tried for a while and have posted my concerns on this forum but it just turns into a mud slinging event. Quite entertaining though.
As a person with no ties to organizers, kart shops, track owners or kids in karting I would be happy to invest my time to make this happen (the mud slinging or the regional body Very Happy ).
As of now, everyone is happy to support one regional, the other or both. Mr Fowler, you have been around for a long long time. I'm sure you've seen it all in karting including the current state, which like you, I think is horrible.
DD
Jason Holland

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut and pasted at reader request Wink

Bruce Fowler wrote:
Very Happy It's amazing how things can come full circle. When the OKRA was running the national event at Shannonville in the late 90's & early 2000's we had marshalls from the Mosport flaging organization running the events. The first year of the Ron Fellows Karting Championship, the same marshalls worked all of the events. These marshalls were brought into the karting scene by one of the OKRA executives, not the ASN! Isn't it amazing that when ASN took over, the marshalls disappeared!!

Bruce Fowler

--------------------------------------------------------
Russell Fox wrote:
Bruce Fowler wrote:
Very Happy It's amazing how things can come full circle. When the OKRA was running the national event at Shannonville in the late 90's & early 2000's we had marshalls from the Mosport flaging organization running the events. The first year of the Ron Fellows Karting Championship, the same marshalls worked all of the events. These marshalls were brought into the karting scene by one of the OKRA executives, not the ASN! Isn't it amazing that when ASN took over, the marshalls disappeared!!

Bruce Fowler

So what your saying Bruce is we are really lacking an organizing body or sanctioning group in Ontario which has an interest in:
1. Safety 2. Rules 3. Competition Regulations 4. Classes 5. Training

Karting can be fun with an organized amount of regulations in place.. Idea

--------------------------------------------------------
Bruce Fowler wrote:
Very Happy Russell that's exactly what I'm saying. We need a Regional organization run by karters & clubs with input from the track owners & kart shops. If I recall this sounds a lot like the OKRA. THIS IS DESPERATELY NEEDED IN ONTARIO!!!!

Bruce Fowler

---------------------------------------------------------

Russell Fox wrote:
This subject should be reserved for another spot on this website forum, but I do agree about having an OKRA back in place. But my recollection of how and when it ended proved that most karters were not interested in seeing an OKRA. There was an OKRA general meeting in Toronto and it was soon realized the interests of having a sanctioning or a regulatory body in Ontario were best handled by others. ASN felt that they could operate the SRFKC (regional racing in Ontario). Therefore OKRA dies and the BSRKC was born and shortly after so was the OKRC (out of the dust of SRFKC), two different groups but the same adjenda. They operate under ASN sanctioning and rules with their own set of supplemantary rules. So who really needed the OKRA?
However the ideas of having rules & regulations for all in Ontario with OKRA as a regulator could work again, but I would be skeptical if you would see any support from the two series which are well under way.

Andrew Massey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know... it just would be nice to have common rules and friendly competition and cooperation between tracks. I think that's all that anyone asks for. Unfortunatly, no matter the type of racing, this is something that is always lacking.

It would be nice to be able to run one brand of tire across the entire region in all clubs and series. It would also be nice if all the tracks "cooperated" on their schedules on a Club and Regional level. Heck, we would even benefit from better cooperation on the Arrive-and-Drive front (for example, a Regional Arrive-and-Drive "Champions League" event that would rotate around to the different tracks)

No Club should be scheduling races when a Regional Race is on. Each club should also have one Club level marquee event (ie TKC's Mississauga Race or MIKA's Grand Prix of Mosport) that doesn't have a conflict. This year, we had some of these marquee races with another race being held the same day a half hour away.

We could all have huge fields and bring greater awareness to Ontario karting if we all worked together for the greater good rather than cutting each others throats to make a few extra dollars.

As they say... if you build it, they will come. I could keep going here, but as the rookie, I guess I should know my place!
#83 MIKA Honda Masters
#83 MIK Box Stock
#83 Peterborough Speedway Four-Fun Dodge
FORMER Track Record Holder - Thanks Scott!
Jim Pirzas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You make good points Andrew. One problem is that if you have 10 "regional" races then you would have to close the club racing down 9 times per year. That is way too many closed weekends.
On the other hand if you have 3 or 4 regional races per year it is not as bad.
Mr Fox, I wasn't there but my understanding was that the death of OKRA was not as simple as "there was no need anymore" but more of a hostile take over and taking it out back to the shed...
Jim Pirzas

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jason, Why don't you post a poll for Ontario Karters to see if they would want a provincial body to oversee the rules, classes and a provincial championship?

1. Would you like to see a group overseeing Ontario Karting and a provincial championship?
2. Do you support your current situation - class, rules and championship?
3. Couldn't care less. I race at many different clubs, regional championships and the various rules that go with them.

You can play with the wording of course.
DD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eKartingNews.ca :: Canada's Leading Karting Website Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: