EKN Top Banner - Forum
K&K - LB
HOME - NEWS - CLUB NEWS - FEATURES - DRIVERS - PR WIRE - FORUMS - PHOTOS - SCHEDULES - RESULTS - LINKS - CONTACT -

CanAm - SS

CLUB - Le Circuit Quyon

CLUB - AMKA

CLUB - WRKC 2013 - DB

CLUB - Manitoba Kart Club

CLUB - Kawartha Durham

CLUB - West Coast Kart Club - DB

Racing Edge Motorsports - FB
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 
Insurance for Out of Country Kart Racing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eKartingNews.ca :: Canada's Leading Karting Website Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ted Murphy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:46 am    Post subject: Insurance for Out of Country Kart Racing Reply with quote

Wondering if anyone has some advice/experience with this. My son is participating in the FWT this winter and when I check the exclusions on my existing Out of Country medical coverage (work and credit cards) they all note that "motor racing" is one of the exclusions. Also, OHIP (Ontario's health insurance) covers only a paltry sum of something like $200 per day for Out of Country medical expenses.
Gord Tomlin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a CAA travel insurance policy kicking around, and it also excludes "Death or injury sustained...during your professional participation in any sport or your participation in any motorized or mechanically assisted speed contests." So much for Segway racing! Laughing

Nonetheless, it's probably still worth having a policy to cover the non-racing health issues. For someone young, the cost is a pittance.
Scott Brooks

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it real issue is what happens if you end up in the hospital as a result of a karting incident. Are you own your own or does the organiser provide any assistance beyond an ambulance at the track.
Ted Murphy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insurance for karting is my concern but I also agree that your regular out of country insurance is a must these days. But I'm still back at square one as between work coverage, credit card coverage and OHIP my whole family is plenty cared for for most things - except motor racing as an example. I've done numerous Google searches on karting insurance today and, oddly enough, most hits are for UK insurance companies. Would have thought the more litigious US would attract insurance companies in droves.

I have no doubt I can find insurance, it's just at what price. Anyway I hope somebody out there has some insight they can share. For sure I'll post whatever info I find out on my own as well.

Thanks...
Graham Macleod

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Combined Insurance Company of America 1 (800)225-4500

K & K Insurance 1 (800)348-1839

Either of above provide coverage for existing sancitioning bodies in the US

Check with your out of country medical carrier. For karting events
where there is no purse, we have used our own out of country carrier HSBC Travel Underwriters. Their interpretation was that it was no different than a holiday jet ski or concession kart incident.

Regards,

Graham
Ted Murphy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Graham,

I finally did put my hands on a copy of my work "out of country" policy (not just the bullet points on a web-site) and there are no exclusions for motorsports - professional or not. So it looks like we'll be OK.

I do suggest that any karters racing outside of their home province look into this. As and example, this is one of many general exclusions from RBC Travel Health Protector policy and also from RBC credit cards that cover out of province medical - "Your participation in a motorized race or motorized speed contest".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eKartingNews.ca :: Canada's Leading Karting Website Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: