EKN Top Banner - Forum
Bondurant - LB
HOME - NEWS - CLUB NEWS - FEATURES - DRIVERS - PR WIRE - FORUMS - PHOTOS - SCHEDULES - RESULTS - LINKS - CONTACT -

Overdrive - SS

CLUB - Le Circuit Quyon

CLUB - WRKC 2013 - DB

CLUB - Kawartha Durham

CLUB - Point Pelee Karting - DB

CLUB - West Coast Kart Club - DB

CLUB - Manitoba Kart Club

Racing Edge Motorsports - FB
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 
2012 Homologation
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eKartingNews.ca :: Canada's Leading Karting Website Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Pirzas

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: 2012 Homologation Reply with quote

Some very interesting bits coming out of the current homologation period. First we see the re-introduction of the famous Kali Kart brand as well as Italcorse. Who will be aboard the Kali in 2012?
I am still waiting for DAP to come back!
PCR has the Super Strillo for 2012 - with rear cross bar near the axle adjustable front to back as well as the angle. Maybe Joey Guyon can tell us more.
Manufacturers continue to play with tube thickness as well as mixing in 28mm tubes. Next to Kali coming back this would be the biggest change for 2012. The 32mm chassis as well as the 30/32 mix are still being produced but we are going to see a lot of 28/30mm mixes in 2012. Chassis flex and more flex is the name of the game.
CRG says 5 rounds of KF1 ? No thanks. We're doing KF2 and Formula 5 - would you like that with 4 or 6 gears.
Anyone hearing anything else new?
I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and Happy 2012! Very Happy
Cody Schindel2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jim,

Another big deal in this years new homologation is SODI-Karts return of the Futura.

There has also been lots of factory driver changes this year as Kozlinski is off to PCR and Gary Catt going to Zinardi being two big ones. Birel has refreshed their KZ effort as has Energy Kart. Should be a very interesting year in 2012.
http://www.autosportsmedia.smugmug.com - Photos
cody@autosportsmedia.com
Jim Pirzas

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cody,
I heard something about Sodi. Are they playing with the idea of suspension again?
Lots of manufacturers doing the changeable wheel base too.
Joey Guyon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super Strillo

Jim Pirzas

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Joey. So you can even have multiple bars!

Can SH tell us what the OTK Vorton Quantum chassis is all about ?
Joey Guyon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very exciting year. Kozlinski will be on a PCR/TM through German importer AVG racing. Puhakka remains on PCR/IAME as a factory effort (hope IAME gets some HP!)

The Superstrillo arrived 2 weeks ago. I hope to turn laps on January 16 in Tucson. The chassis is intended for hard tires in European terms (Mojo). There are 3 angle variations for the rear bars, plus 8 positions per bar.

In the past we have been able to order chassis with the bar welded in different spots. This system will be a good way to adjust for a stiffer or softer center section of the chassis. It will also give flexibility in seat position for smaller drivers in the Mini or Junior Max classes.

I'll post my initial findings after the winter/spring tests that we will be doing on Rotax/Mojo and Leopard/MG white.

The addition to Scuderia PCR of Designer/Manager Beppe Gabbiani from Energy has already shown good results in the last quarter of 2011 especially with Antonio Giovinazzi in KF2.

I love silly season!
Cody Schindel2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pics Joey.

Did anyone else see the recent T-Kart issue featuring the 30 craziest chassis designs? I really hope that PCR doesn't become #31, LOL.
http://www.autosportsmedia.smugmug.com - Photos
cody@autosportsmedia.com
Joey Guyon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time will tell, but there doesn't seem to be anything "crazy" with this chassis.

I saw the new Jesolo on display at the Supernats - now that thing seemed wild. I didn't take any pics tho. Looks like they had something to prove with their tubing bender...

JG
Jim Pirzas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bremer by PCR will have a chassis with a 28-30-32 mix of tubes.

Maranello will also feature a 28-30 mix of tubes in the RS12 I think with the LS wheel base or adjustable wheelbase.
Karts & Parts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it seems everyone is adding a 28/30mm tube frame with adjustable wheelbase to there frame collection.

Reasoning:
Tires. Today's tires are simply getting harder as there is no competition between tire brands in on-track performance. Mojo will only race against Mojo, Bridgestone vs. Bridgestone, Vega against Vega. CIK recently announced "Vega as the single-supply of tires in all the 2012 CIK-FIA Championships, Cups and Trophies for KF2, KF3 and KZ2". Also there has been a effort to introduce more environmentally safe chemicals in the production of tires. We have all seen this in 2011 with the Mojo "CIK" branded models. 2011 was a tire homologation year for tires. 2012 being the homologation for chassis/brakes/bodywork.

This means the manufacturers are playing catchup to better suit the tires.

CRG produces many brands of karts and they have introduced their 28/30mm variants. The LH Kart has launched its 28/30mm LH3 model with adjustable wheelbase. Check out the parts diagram below.

A total of 4 cassettes are available to the 2012 LH Karts. Cassettes of 0mm , -4mm, -6mm & -8mm are available. Please note the external seat bar mounts as they will allow you to move the axle without having to change out the length of your seat bars or re-drill your seat.

Personally, I have seen great success in 2009 & 2011 in Jr level classes with short wheelbase models. Can't wait to see what 2012 brings for results!
kartsandparts@yahoo.com
Jim Pirzas

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that info Karts & Parts! You're right, the tire manufacturers aren't really competing anymore to make softer and grippier tires right now. Karters are asking for longer lasting and therefore harder tires. That's bringing the smaller tubes back into play. Also, there is a bigger effort to be competitive in the Rotax market or we'll say the single make market.
Joey Guyon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

We put about 60 laps on the Superstrillo this past weekend on the Tucson P1 circuit. It showed a lot of promise with good steering and initial rear grip. We mainly played on the standard setup changes and did not relocate the rear bar.

Heads up vs the MXK8 using the same engine package and set of tires only 30 minutes apart it was within 2 tenths consistently and 1 tenth best lap to best lap. This was in Senior Max trim at weight.

We are extremely satisfied thus far and have an additional shipment on the way as it will play an important role on our team.

Once we test the rear bar positions I will follow up again.

Regards,

Joey Guyon
Overdrive Motorsports
Jim Pirzas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCR Strillo garnered a lot of interest at Offenbach Germany show. Many photos on KSP.fr. A lot on Sodi as well but no close ups on the front end. Velox was a nice package by SGM.
What is Tony kart doing? Haven't seen a new homologation by them yet. Many TB Kart photos as well. No photo of that OTK chassis. Anyone seen it?
Jim Pirzas

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How was Gatorz for the Strillo Joey? Did you use it in practice or during the races? I know you had the proven Advance out there as well as the MXK8 (did I get the initials right)
I see Maranello had some good results. Maybe someone knows if the RS12 was raced.
Still don't know what a Vorton Quantum is??
Joey Guyon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim,

We didn't give it a go this past weekend as most of our drivers only did friday practice and we went with our known quantities for the 5 sessions. Our next test will be Feb 10-12 and I plan to log another 100 laps on it. If all goes well, I will put a driver in it for Gatorz Phoenix at the end of the month.

Jim do you have any links or info on this SGM package you mention?

I'll keep the info coming.

JG
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eKartingNews.ca :: Canada's Leading Karting Website Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: