EKN Top Banner - Forum
Energy Kart Canada 2014 - LB
HOME - NEWS - CLUB NEWS - FEATURES - DRIVERS - PR WIRE - FORUMS - PHOTOS - SCHEDULES - RESULTS - LINKS - CONTACT -

CanAm - SS

CLUB - AMKA

CLUB - West Coast Kart Club - DB

CLUB - TRAK - Goodwood

CLUB - Manitoba Kart Club

CLUB - WRKC 2013 - DB

CLUB - Point Pelee Karting - DB

Racing Edge Motorsports - FB
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 
ASN/BSRKC JUNIOR LICENCE DISPARITY

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eKartingNews.ca :: Canada's Leading Karting Website Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevin barrick

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: ASN/BSRKC JUNIOR LICENCE DISPARITY Reply with quote

It needs to brought to everyone's attention that any Junior holding an approved, valid 2012 ASN issued Junior C or C+ Club, Regional or National licence, cannot run in the BSRKC Series, if they turn 16 during the racing year, which is totally contrary to the ASN published guidelines for licence issuance ( note disparity below ). What sense does it make that you apply to and pay ASN, they issue you a licence, and you cannot use in an ASN sanctioned series.. the answer.. NONE. So, what this means is that even though you can compete with your ASN approved Junior licence at any number of clubs across Ontario, Quebec and Canada for that matter, as well as NOKC, WCC, ECKC and the ASN Nationals you cannot run in the BSRKC series. Furthermore, should you turn 16 prior to Shannonville Bear Hunt, you cannot run there either as a junior, or if you run senior Senior, you will not be permitted back to your club or NOKC, WCC, ECKC, or ASN Nationals, as a junior. 80% of the clubs go by ASN licencing standards. It makes absolutely no sense that BSRKC, run by 2 clubs goes against the ASN National Standard. It may be they are trying to limit their entries to just members of the 2 clubs, or there are other underlying political issues, I am unaware of. To me, this is a slap in the face to ASN, the clubs, series supporters and more importantly, the junior drivers affected, of which there are many. This disparity is just another reason for the ill health of karting in Ontario. Numerous attempts of obtaining the reasoning behind this detrimental disparity from ASN, has resulted in a very vanilla response of basically, it's a supplementary rule.. PERIOD. OK, but I ask again .. WHY, when the rest of the country goes by ASN guidelines. I thought ASN's mandate was to promote equality in karting? Hopefully, ASN and/or BSRKC come to their senses, prior to the season starting, or a great number of approved ASN licenced juniors, will be forced to run other series that recognize their ASN licences, and this series will decline.

ASN CURRENT 2012 JUNIOR AGE REQUIREMENTS

National C+ Driver-Kart Required for Junior classes including Rotax Junior MAX, KF3
The applicant must have competed in a minimum of 6 club or regional races within the
previous 12 months with a Regional or Club C or C+ licence to obtain a National C+
licence.
Age restriction: 13th birthday during the current calendar year, 17th birthday after
December 31st of the current calendar year.

Regional C+ Driver-Kart Required for Junior classes including Rotax Junior MAX, TAG Junior, KF3
The applicant must have competed in a minimum of 6 club races within the previous 12
months with a Club C or C+ licence to obtain a Regional C+ licence.
Age restriction: 13th birthday during the current calendar year, 17th birthday after
December 31st of the current calendar year.

Club C+ Driver-Kart Required for Junior classes including Rotax Junior MAX, TAG Junior, KF3
Entry level Club licence. Rookie Rule applies to first time racers. First time racers must
have successfully completed a mandatory Driver Training Program administered by an
ASN affiliated karting organization.
December 31st of the current calendar year

BSRKC 2012 SUPPLEMENTARY SELF CONTRADICTORY JUNIOR AGE DISCLAIMER

Each driver competing in the BSRKC Championship Series must be a member in good standing of an ASN Canada FIA Affiliated Club and hold the required Licence for the Class(es) entered.

A Driver/ Entrant who has a Club C+ licence can participate in a Licence Grade C class.

Once a Junior Driver turns 16 years of age they are no longer eligible to compete in a Junior Class.

This renders all ASN 2012 issued Junior National. Regional and Club licences useless at BSRKC, if the licencee turns 16 during the year. They are however eligible to run any other series. This is just plain wrong.

MAKE SURE YOU or YOUR COMPETITION , DON"T FALL INTO THIS CATEGORY
Paul Kashak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the way the BSRKC rule reads is you can turn 16 in the racing year...it just has to be after the races. You are able to race junior UNTIL you turn 16.
In any case, if it's ASN sactioned I don't know why they need to be different. Like you say, we need more co-operation for a healthy sport.
kevin barrick

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly Paul.. Say for instance, a racer turns 16 the day before the last BSRKC event Sept 8. He cannot not run it as junior, even though he has run all the other events. He has no chance to win the championship, as there are no drops. This is going to happen to a lot of juniors during the season , and they just won't run the series because of it. And if they manditorily move to senior at BSRKC, they can not run their club or other SERIES, as a junior anymore. This in effect, renders all ASN 2012 issued Junior National. Regional and Club licences useless at BSRKC, if the licencee turns 16 before Sept 8. What a crock. Again, why this is not the same as ASN is beyond me. It's a pretty easy fix..just put the age/licenceing on par with ASN, as they are the ones that issue them, and sanction and insure the events. ASN needs to step in and make this right, as they have final approval of the supplementary regulations. And yes, cooperation and equality is definetly required for a healthy sport.

K. Barrick
Jim Pirzas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It reads like you shouldn't be born in the middle of a racing season because you could not race for over-all in either junior or senior that year where you are on the bubble of both.
Russell Fox

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why wouldn't a driver want to be a senior in his or her 15th year anyways? Progression is always better for a driver in my opinion....

"If everything is under control, you're just not going fast enough." -- Mario Andretti
kevin barrick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ...I agree somewhat, but it could be any one of the following reasons... Physical size, maturity, budget, current equipment.. especially if you have it for 2 Junior classes.. a lot of money to upgrade to Senior, if you don't have to. Being eligible and a favorite to qualify for the Rotax World Finals on Team Canada as a Junior, might be a deciding factor too.

K. Barrick
Russell Fox

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree the rules should be consistent, I can recall when 80 shifter was a class in 05' SRFKC (ASN rules) and a certain driver had turned 16 in September (I think) before his season was finished and was disallowed to continue in that class. Kevin you wouldn't have believed it, parents were in an uproar and the rule was modified a year later to its current ASN configuration. We are talking 80 shifter with many $$$ invested. However it was their choice to race that year hoping no-one would notice. Noticed it was by the next competitor. I think BSKRC has continued on with an old ASN rule so that a 16 year old isn't racing a 13 year old..... Ask Enzo or Mike Brittan why.....

"If everything is under control, you're just not going fast enough." -- Mario Andretti
kevin barrick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russell.. I agree with all of what you are saying. The lack of consistency is the only problem I have with it. Being eligible for and having an 2012 ASN issued Junior C+ licence and being able to run the Nationals, and every other Series except the ASN sanctioned BSRKC, just does not make any sense. If it was consistent ...one way or another, there would not be a problem. This is definetly hurting the sport, and most certainly BSRKC.

K. Barrick
Paul Kashak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russell Fox wrote:
.... I think BSKRC has continued on with an old ASN rule so that a 16 year old isn't racing a 13 year old.......

I guess you could also argue do you want a 15 year old racing a 30 year old? The senior group spans 20yrs., Junior 3yrs.
More importantly you said it...they are following old rules.
Inconsistent rules and classes only hurt the sport.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eKartingNews.ca :: Canada's Leading Karting Website Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: