EKN Top Banner - Forum
Energy Kart Canada 2014 - LB
HOME - NEWS - CLUB NEWS - FEATURES - DRIVERS - PR WIRE - FORUMS - PHOTOS - SCHEDULES - RESULTS - LINKS - CONTACT -

CanAm - SS

CLUB - TRAK - Goodwood

CLUB - Le Circuit Quyon

CLUB - AMKA

CLUB - West Coast Kart Club - DB

CLUB - Kawartha Durham

CLUB - WRKC 2013 - DB

Racing Edge Motorsports - FB
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 
Official Discussion - ORKC Event 1, Goodwood
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eKartingNews.ca :: Canada's Leading Karting Website Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Curran

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the DiLeos deserve credit for getting the facility in great shape for the race, and it's always a pleasure to race at Goodwood. I think the race in Hamilton in two weeks should be a good one and hopefully there will be a good turnout in all the classes.
Michael Maurini

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bruce,

The fast event coverage is one goal of EKN.ca and Jason did a great job. The coverage will extend to the Brian Stewart series as well as the ORKC as EKN.ca Trackside will be covering both series.

As for your comments about company names beside their respective drivers in the forums, the answer is as follows. The drivers that are listed with company and chassis names beside their personal names are major advertisers on eKartingNews.ca. This is just a value added bonus for these advertising companies, as EKN.ca is helping them get that extra marketing exposure as well as a way for us to thank them for supporting this website.

Thanks,
RaceTechDevelopment.com
Russell Fox

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this means anything or not but I had just viewed the DD2 race results on Mylaps and found out the race laps shown were 19 and not 20.
If anybody was recording the laps as I was, on a mycron I counted 18 green flag laps and 1 waved off start. Seems timing and scoring deprived us of one lap....
Why????
So maybe I figured I was wrong but in comparison the Rotax Jr race laps show 20 laps....
Can't imagine what could have happened in the final lap if it was actually the final lap!!!!

Just reviewed it again and it seems I was wrong, sorry for the confusion..

"If everything is under control, you're just not going fast enough." -- Mario Andretti

Last edited by Russell Fox on Tue May 13, 2008 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total
Rob Howden

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: ORKC Race #1 Reply with quote

Bruce Fowler wrote:
Jason, it's great to have fast media coverage of the ORKC & I hope it goes for the BRKC too, but when I saw the results of the classes & only 2 companies were named that's not WRIGHT. The winners of DD2 & Rotax Senior & the other classes deserve the same recognition as the CO.s that are named. In fact the DD2 & Honda Senior races were exceptional in all respects.

Bruce Fowler

Bruce,

Let me give you a straight look at karting media. I've been in this for 15 years now and we've actually worked together before (I drove a Dino for you to fourth at the the Nationals - loved that kart - back in '96), so I think you'll respect my comments. EKN is a business like any other. We are focused on providing the racers with great coverage, as delivered this weekend, that is our product. However, to be honest, the site lost money this weekend, and that needs to be understood. Without the advertisers we already have, the loss would have been worse. Expenses to cover minus advertising revenue = loss.

We rely on advertising support to keep doing what we do, but thankfully, we provide kick-ass coverage that the racing community loves. I reckon back to what we did early on with PRN. We broke a lot of ground then, as well. eKartingNews.com is the PRN of the '00s, only I am at the helm. That means the sport is #1.

Bruce, we don't have a back-up business to support our karting: karting is it. As part of the EKN program in Canada, we support those who support us. EVERY racer gets love, because they've likely bought their equipment, but in our forum updates, we include the the information of our advertisers. It's available to them all...if they want it.

Up to now...this past weekend's coverage was sponsored those you saw mentioned. Would you like to be part of this list?
www.eKartingNews.ca
www.eKartingNews.com
www.eFormulaCarNews.com
Mario Rago

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: ORKC Race #1 Reply with quote

Bruce Fowler wrote:
Jason it's great to have fast media coverage of the ORKC & I hope it goes for the BRKC too but when I saw the results of the classes & only 2 companies were named that's not WRIGHT. The winners of DD2 & Rotax Senior & the other classes deserve the same recognition as the CO.s that are named. In fact the DD2 & Honda Senior races were exceptional in all respects.
With respects to Missy Goodyear's comments about bad fuel passing tech, there was NO fuel that was ILLEGAL all day, the samples in question were at the very outer ranges of the tester & the racers in question were told to remedy the situation before the finals. The reason I know this is I was there assisting & just to clarify the meaning of outer ranges the racer is allowed 5 points high & low of our test samples & still be legal.

Bruce, I hope someone can explain or clarify a few questions I have. With respect to the "Illegal fuel" . I have done some reading in the Rotax Max Challenge Regulations and Series Bulleting and Series Regulations and considering all the precidence that the rules take, I still am some what puzzled. As far as I can tell, the spec oil is stated as Motul 2T in the series regulations and Motul GP in Rotax Max. Is there a difference???

Secondly, Section 19.3(Lubricant Oils) in the Technical regulations states that: The competitors fuel is tested against a base related to a fuel/oil ratio of 16:1 .... The chosen oil must be stated on the competitors entry form and declared on the pre tech form or passport...Rotax the manufacturer recommends a fuel/oil ratio of anywhere from 32 to 50:1, . Now, my technical background tells me that a high oil content...say 32:1 would give a high reading and a low oil ratio, say 50:1 would yeild a low reading. If you are testing unmixed fuel then the plus minus 5 value makes sense, but with respect to oil/fuel mixtures I would think the readings would be much further apart when considering all the possible ratios within the recommended ranges. I saw first hand how adding a few cc's of oil to an established mixture affected the reading dramatically. Can you pls comment on the method of testing and clear up any ambiguity. When people start rumors that there is illegal fuel being used, it dimishes the spirit of competition and makes for trash talk.
Bruce Fowler

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:39 am    Post subject: ORKC Race #1 Reply with quote

Mario We start with the highest octane pump fuel available, mix it to the 3 normal fuel oil ratios & use these samples as our base, as we test racers we ask for the ratio they use & they are allowed 5 points high & low of the test sample. The oil used for Rotax classes is Motul T2 the Motul GP you mention is for ASN 2cycle classes & I'll anmite at this time I cannot tell you the difference between the 2 oils. As far as section 19.3 in the ASN reg's are for all other 2cycle classes not ROTAX. The system dues work & out of all the competers in the Rotax classes run we had no failures all day. With this being the first race of the seres we did assist some of the competers as far as being at the outer limits of the fuel tests but don't expect this to be the norm.
In the past we've had to deal with HOT oils & many additives put into the fuel so using spec oil & spec fuel has helped level the playing field for everybody.

Bruce Fowler

The rules are where you start from.
Jason Holland

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Injury Updates:

Addison Rayner in ProShifter is still in pain, but it has more to do with the fact he had his wisdom teeth taken out on Monday then the wild ride he took in his ProShifter debut. Without wisdom, he's surely ready to return to Shifter, possibly this weekend but definitely by the Hamilton round.

Adriano Billota is quite sore and has pulled muscles in his back. Doctor has suggested no karting for a while, Bilotta suggests he will definitely be racing in two weeks.

Brad Forbes is bruised and sore a day after eating the turn one tire wall but says he will also definitely be back for the Hamilton round, if not sooner.

Scott Saunders is bruised and bandaged but also feeling better and doesn't expect to miss any track time.
Jeff Grist

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob:
You and I will always disagree on the roll of the media. The age old publisher vs. editor arguement. New media vs. traditional media. The coverage was great and Jason got lots of exercise running up and down the grid lane. My entire family is addicted to EKN on race weekends. Saves a ton on cell phone calls!
I want to thank REA Group and the Taibi Family for sponsoring the mini max class at ORKC. Karting runs on sponsors and their support is very much appreciated. I hope everyone checks out their website (it's very nice) and learns more about someone who believes in what we are all doing. Thanks again for your support of this new class.

Jeff Grist
Secrets of Speed Publications
Mario Rago

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bruce,

In previous series, the tech sheet had a place for oil brand and mixing ratio. Perhaps my age and short term memory is catching with me, but I dont recall seeing this on the ORKC tech sheet???

Is mixing ratio an enforceable rule? ie does the competitor have to run the same mixing ratio that everyone else does?? I cant find any regulation with respect to Rotax that stipulates this. I think if this was clearly stated somewhere it might clear up any issues with
" questionable fuel" If Rotax recommends anything between 32 and 50:1 that is a fairly broad range. What are the three common mixing ratios that you set your base line for??? I dont want to talk this to death but it seems to me that this issue may be cause for concern at future events. I hope not.
Rob Howden

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff Grist wrote:
Rob:
You and I will always disagree on the roll of the media. The age old publisher vs. editor arguement. New media vs. traditional media. The coverage was great and Jason got lots of exercise running up and down the grid lane. My entire family is addicted to EKN on race weekends. Saves a ton on cell phone calls!

Jeff Grist

Jeff, you're right, it's a dicussion we've had before. Being in this business is tough, because to make it a profitable venture, we have to think outside the box. It would be nice if we could hammer away without the care of paying the bills, but it's not the reality, especially in a start-up like eKartingNews.ca.

However, I'm sure thsat you would agree that we work extra-hard to make certain that our overall coverage is not affected by our support of our advertising partners. It has always been my goal to bring a new level of coverage and professionalism to the sport, and partnering up with like -minded companies can help make that happen.

Thanks for the comments.
www.eKartingNews.ca
www.eKartingNews.com
www.eFormulaCarNews.com
Jeff Grist

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob:
Amen brother, Amen. What you have crafted with EKN is a great example of making it work in karting. Not an easy thing to do. I will always challenge you because we need what EKN.com and EKN.ca are doing for us. A viable metric for measuring sponsorship investment in karting. Racers here in Canada need to utilize the EKN.ca or CanadianKartingNews.com advertising platforms as part of their sponsorhip programs. I see lots of decals on karts and trailers and trophies, but I don't see those same names on-line. Why wouldn't a club or series bulk buy ad space and re-sell it to their sponsors as part of the package. Mark it up and add more money into the budget.

When that sponsor asks: "What can you do for me today?"

You can say: "Well I know a great way to reach a very loyal audience made up of the broadest demographic that spends the most per capita; Families."

If EKN says support drives the business, then take them up on the challenge. Get advertising into your sponsorship programs and make EKN or CKN create programs that work for you; the racer. Ask for lots of extras and negotiate hard. You owe it to your sponsors.

Jeff Grist
Joe Taibi

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 7:52 am    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

I don't usually read the discussion forums let alone write on them, but a friend told me to check it out. I did and now feel compeled to write.

First of all, Jeff Grist, thank you for the kind words. You are a classy individual. You should be very proud of your family and son. Garret is a very talented racer. Michael and I enjoy racing against Garrett and the rest of the competitors.

I sponsor racing because my son and I enjoy it so much. It has been very good to us and want to help out in any way possible. Without racing, who knows what some of our kids would be doing.

We are members ot the TKC and are very proud to suppot them. We look forward to racing every weekend. its all we talk about all week.

Michael and I cannot say enough about what Daniel and Marco DiLeo have done for us and every other racer they come in contact with. Without their hard work this weekend, none of us would be racing. All I see is both of them working non stop trying to help everyone they can.

To our Mechanic Paul Lapierre, I think you are one of the best mechanics. I love your passion for this sport. You always give Michael the best possible Kart you can for him to compete with. Some people mis understand your comments. I know its your passion to see this sport be as best it can.

Michael and I are new to this sport. Michael has only been racing at the club level since last sept. Let me give you some observations of what I see. I think that this is one of the greatest sports in the world. The families and individuals involved are fantastic. Everyone supports each other. I see some of the bickering and think it is due to the passion that everyone has for this sport, which when done properly can be a good thing.

To quote a great leader "I have a dream". I would love to see there be a united Ontario championship series. I would be willing to mediate, arbitrate, help, beg, borrow, steal, kill for the opportunity to have everyone involved in both series in a room (leave your egos at the door) and hammer out one series. When we put the racer's best interest first, you can't make a bad decision. Now that you have all stopped laughing, think about it and let me know what we have to do. I would be the first to help.
Elena Maurini

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New photos have now been added to the gallery courtesy of Jim McGlade. Check it out here:

http://www.ekartingnews.ca/photos.php?gal=25&sshow=0

Also, a new gallery, courtesy of Cody Schindel of Autosports Media, has been created. Be sure to check out Cody's photos here:

http://www.ekartingnews.ca/photos.php?sshow=0&gal=28&sshow=0
Jason Holland

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Results and Lap Charts on MyLaps:

http://www.mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=304099
Bruce Fowler

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: ORKC reg.s Reply with quote

Mario.... Sorry for the delay in answering you, the ORKC Supplementary Rules & Regulations rule #7 states all 2cycle competitors must use MOTUL 2T oil. You asked what the difference was between MOTUL 2T & MOTUL GP oil, the GP oil is designed to run at higher RPM'S 16,000 & up then the 2T oil. As for fuel/oil ratio's the three ratios being used at this time are 32:1-40:1 & 50:1 no other ratios will be run. My self personally I would like to see 1 ratio only 32:1, this would make fuel testing much simpler.

Bruce Fowler

The rules are where you start from.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eKartingNews.ca :: Canada's Leading Karting Website Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: